Go Back   Tiberius Arms Forums > Tiberius Arms Markers and Mods Discussion > Tiberius T9 Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012

Default Operating pressure

Curious about the optimal operating pressure of this marker in terms of input psi.
What should i adjust my HPA tank to? To me the only downside to this marker is its reg and inconsistency when firing FS rounds out of the .683 LAPCO. I never get the "winger" rather occaisonaly a random high shot.
Old 04-05-2012

I talked to a tech from Ninja about it and he said that 800psi would be the best pressure. If you have a tank where you can adjust output pressure, you could try lowering the output. This would be an interesting test as running a gun at lower cycling pressure would help efficentcy.
Old 04-05-2012
Senile Member

For two years now, I've been running my tibs at lower pressure using the ninja regs. I think if I remember properly (two years is a long time for someone my age to remember anything - I'm lucky I remember where I left my tibs). Anyway, I removed both rings from the ninja reg and think I got an output pressure (input into the gun) of around 400 psi.

I'd heard that the actual operating pressure of the Tib was in the three hundred something. So, I felt 400 was good enough and might actually help the tibs reg (which quite a few people have little regard for).

4500 psi regulated down to 400 per shoot from the exterior tank. 400 psi into the roughly 300 something internal pressure. My logic was less variation into the gun, the easier the Tib reg had to work. In other words, 5% plus or minues variation at 800 psi (into a tib) means up to 80 psi per shoot that the internal reg has to deal with. Where as 400 psi input pressure means a 40 psi possible swing (plus 20 to minus 20 psi) between shots. So, the internal reg on the Tib only had to deal with roughly half the variance per shot (improving consistency/ flight and distance between shots).

It has worked fine until just last week at the field and then again at home firing in "the 100 arce woods" behind my house. VoodooAddict was there in the "100 acre woods" and knew that I ran lower pressure. He suggested it was the lower pressure causing the "double shoots." I don't know. I have made two mods that may be effecting it and it happens so sporadically. My old remote line hose started leaking so I replaced it about two-four weeks ago (if this new hose is not as good a transmitter of gas as the last hose,) that could be the problem. Or, two, I have a killjoy trigger now - and that's something else new that might cause this sporadic problem that has just appeared. I'm not ready to give up on the lower pressure yet.

But, yes, other people run tibs at lower pressures. I remember hearing of others after I first posted this two years. If anyone had problems, please jump in here and report (pr if you have success).

My First Strikes have eyes!
And, I've got my eye on you.

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

My prestigious paintball group! Come join!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/185340978293269/

Last edited by Chicago : 04-05-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added some highlighting to names etc. and explanation that 40psi is really referring to swing between shots of plus/minus 20
Old 04-05-2012

Just talked to a tech at Tiberius and he said @ 280fps the internal operating pressure is just above 300psi. However, he did suggest not dropping the tank below 500psi output on the tank reg.

The theory is that when squeezing the FS down the .683 barrel, you need to turn the velocity up to achieve 280fps. velocity means more air into your gun and apparently the Tib reg isn't the greatest.

So a lower input pressure is easier on the reg allowing a more consistent fps.

I know this is correct because all of us who been balling for a while can hear the difference in a shot moving over 300fps and i get that time to time with the 9.1.

beyond that, I will see my shot, through my scope, fly over my targets head.

probably anything below 500psi tank output runs the risk of starving the marker during rapid fire.

speaking of starving your marker, isn't the 9.1's blow-forward design somewhat "borrowed" from AGD mags? How dope would it be if when the T4.1 is released it has internals similar to the tac one?? i.e. xvalve and level 10 bolt
Old 04-05-2012

Actually, it's a little counter-intuitive, but in a double-regulated system such as a Tib on HPA, you typically get better consistency with a larger pressure differential. If you're having consistency issues, I'd raise the input if you can. We used to run 'Mags over 1000 psi input to get the best performance.
Old 04-06-2012
Senile Member

My marker before the Tibs was an automag modified to a hypermag. So, high/low pressure depends on a couple things like high pressure/low volume or lower pressure/higher volume in the AGD reg. Each used to be pushed for various reasons.

It is part of the fun of having markers - modifying them, experimenting with them. I've found in my tibs anyway that I like running (I just measured it the other night) 540 psi into the markers. It has made my per shot (measured by a chrono) more consistent. Like 2-3 fps from shot to shot versus 5-6 per shot with higher pressures. (But, we have to remember that even chrono are plus or minus so many feet per second so at sometime to get 1 or 2 foot per second accurate measurements you need lab equipment and a "clean" room. Niether of which I can afford.) So trust your gut and instincts beyond the tools at our disposal. What I'm trying to say that if you see a variation of 5 feet per second from shot to shot, it could be your chrono's variance at 280 rather than your regs. It is the old, if this is 90% accurate and that is 90% accurate, your combined accuracy is only 81%! That's why sometimes you see your marker changing by 6-8 feet per shot.

But, there are so many contributing factors including the barrel used and the humidity that day. So, I'd suggest that people try what is best for them. Like the Tiberius Tech said, it needs three hundred and something internal but should be over 500 psi external. Oh did I mention all my tests and firings are with first strikes only?

Last edited by Chicago : 04-06-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added "what I'm trying to say"
Old 04-06-2012

i run mine at ~500 psi output pressure and it works great. (side note i LOVE my older then dinosaurs automag!)

Proud Sniper of A.C.E.S. The home for any true paintball sniper.
Old 04-06-2012

My only word of advice would be...

DO NOT RUN YOUR TIBERIUS ON LOW PRESSURE.

I took my 9.1 out to play a while back and completely forgot about the fact I mistakenly took my low pressure tank (instead of my high pressure tank), which is preset at 450psi output and I use it on my speedball gun and my sanchez pump gun. I run my 9.1 hopper fed with a remote line. Well...

The gun was quickly starved of air. I would rattle off 3 or 4 shots in quick succession and the velocity would drop right off just like when your air tank is nearly empty.

It even got to the point where a couple of times the gun didn't want to cycle, and I was disconnecting and reconnecting the remote to try and get the gun to air up again.

NEVER AGAIN.

I will never run a tiberius on low pressure again.
Old 04-07-2012
Senile Member

Not going to disagree with Jimmy. But, it sounds like you have a completely different style of play. So, in your case and in that style, don't change the standard tank pressure.

From your post, you sound like a high volume of paint and rapid fire requiring a hopper. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you enjoy. However, some of us just run magfed first strikes so our volume of paint and recovery time are much lower than yours.

I'll remember to preface my further threads, "if you are running with FS magfed only and aren't a rapid fire guy (maybe a double tap but, that's it), you can lower the input pressure the marker. I and many other run 500 and up (as well as standard tank pressure - which if you measure the 'factory' setting is sometimes surprisingly only in the six hundred psi range. so, see what is best for you. But according to Tiberius Techs, it is best to stay above 500. And, that says nothing for Co2 players!"

Old 04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Not going to disagree with Jimmy. But, it sounds like you have a completely different style of play. So, in your case and in that style, don't change the standard tank pressure.

From your post, you sound like a high volume of paint and rapid fire requiring a hopper. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you enjoy. However, some of us just run magfed first strikes so our volume of paint and recovery time are much lower than yours.
This is true.

I did actually try running my 9.1 mag fed only, with either FS only or FS and paintballs. Honestly it didn't 'jive' with me since as soon as you start competing with things like tree branches, it's hard to justify expending the FS rounds on them... especially since I am a long way away from America so it costs a lot of money to get FS rounds down here. Cost for me is nearly double what somebody from USA or Canada would pay, due to the shipping cost. Of course the other thing that happens is you get into a 'gun battle' with somebody with a hopper fed gun, and again... not fun trying to shoot back with mag fed only.

So instead I run it hopper fed, but I carry 4-6 magazines of FS. And I twist the barrel mid game and insert a magazine when I want to shoot some first strike. It gives me the best of both worlds, and I never have any issues with velocity as I've done velocity testing on both my lapco STR8SHOT barrels. (The videos are on the Web Dog Radio channel on Youtube).